Friday, March 22, 2013

Day of Travel... Or So I Thought

What a crazy, hectic day! I still can't believe everything that happened today. This morning I left for Kiev, well I was suppose to leave but I did not. The three of us left on the train from Iasi to Pascani at 9 in the morning. Once we got to Pascani we had about two hours until the next train left for Kiev. The train to Kiev would leave at 12:20 and we would arrive in Kiev the next morning at 9. Except when that train left we weren't on it. Some how we missed the train even though we were at the train station the whole time! How it happened, I have no clue. I was so mad. I couldn't believe that it happened and I just kept thinking that I lost all this money. Also on top of that it was freezing cold. I think today was the coldest day out of my whole time here in Romania. It was freezing! It was like a blizzard outside. So after we talked to someone and discovered it had left we called Mario. Thank goodness for Mario! She helped us out so much today. We couldn't communicate well enough with the ticket lady so Mario talked to her. She told us we could catch up to the train at the next stop in Suceava.  She told us to get in a taxi and hand them the phone. She told him what was going on and he started driving. He had gone about 2 minutes when he turned around because he said we wouldn't make it in time. So he dropped us off and we called Mario again. She called the travel agency and asked what we could do. They told her that the train in Suceava doesn't leave the station until 3:20. So we had about 2 hours to get there and Mario said we could make it. So we went back out in the freezing cold weather and asked the same driver if he could take us. He talked to Mario for what seemed like years. He then had to call and get permission to leave the city. He was able to take us so we headed to Suceava. Once we were on the road I started having hope again that we could make it in time! It was a long drive. It didn't help that the weather was horrible. I honestly do not know how he was driving. You could hardly see in front of the car. There was snow on the road and snow still coming down. The wind was awful! We were getting close to the North train station when we got stuck in the snow. There was a lot on the road. The taxi driver said we were really close to the station too. It was almost 3:20 too. We were stuck for a long time. He kept trying to get the car out. Other people's cars that were stuck too came and tried to push the car out. The three of us even tried but it didn't budge. It was freezing outside! I thought I was going to die. I was so frustrated and mad that everything was going wrong. This was suppose to be a fun, relaxing trip. But it is not starting out that way. I decided we really weren't suppose to be on that train. After finding out from Sarahy that she couldn't go into Ukraine because she has a Venezuela passport I realized that was why. The three of us would of ran into a bigger problem if we would have gotten on that train. I guess Sarahy forgot to check Ukraine. She checked the other 3 countries but not that one. She realized it in the taxi and was talking to her mom and Andreea. They were both checking for her. They both found out that she can't enter Ukraine. After I found out about this I was so frustrated! How could she be so irresponsible. This is something big and she just didn't check! It frustrates me that she was figuring it out on the way to the train that we already missed once! I keep telling myself that "Megan it's okay, you would have missed the train anyways whether she could of gone to Ukraine or not." And it is okay. I'm trying not to be frustrated but I don't think she realizes how it is affecting us too. If we would have known our travel plans would have been completely different. I just know if it would be me with the different passport I would have check all the places before I even paid for the trip! It's okay, I'm done ranting now.

Back to the story, it was freezing we were stuck in the snow with the very nice taxi driver. He kept trying and said he would keep trying to get us to the train station. Bless his heart! He really did try. Once we realized Sarahy couldn't get on that train, we told him he could just turn around and take us back to Pascani once we got unstuck. Well this whole time driving to the North Suceava train station I had to go to the bathroom so so badly! I have never had to pee as bad as I did. I seriously could not hold it any longer. I don't even know why I had to go to the bathroom because all morning I wasn't feeling good and didn't have an appetite or drink anything. Well Katelyn had to go too so we walked to a tree to go outside in the blizzard. Well the snow was a lot deeper on the sides and we both sank to our knees. I realized that wouldn't work so I went between 2 car doors that were open. It was so cold! I couldn't even go to the bathroom at first because I was so cold. That is something I don't ever want to do again, pee outside during a blizzard haha. Not to long after that part of the road got plowed and the taxi driver slowly made his way out. He was an excellent driver and stayed so calm! He was smoking a lot so maybe that is how he was dealing with his stress. Our next destination was Pascani. We were on our way there when the weather really was too bad to drive. He didn't feel comfortable so he told us he could take us to the other station in Suceava. We told him yes and that is where we went. We knew we were going to be cutting it close because it left at 7 and it was already 6:15. We arrived at the back side of the station at 6:50. We had 10 minutes to walk across the station with our bags and buy our tickets. The taxi driver was so incredible nice. He carried our bags to the station in the storm and helped us buy our tickets. Then he put us on the train! How blessed we were to have him as our driver. He was not a normal taxi driver. He went well beyond his duties as a taxi driver. I'm grateful he was so nice, patient and willing to help us. We made it on the train to Pascani. We only bought to Pascani and would buy to Iasi once we got to Pascani. I had never been so happy to be heading to Iasi! That's all I wanted was to back in Iasi in my warm apartment with warm clothes on. I also just wanted to sleep in my bed too! Waiting the couple minutes for the train was the coldest out of the whole day. The wind was blowing so hard! It was blowing snow up off the ground and felt like it was below zero. I was just so so so grateful to be on that train. Prayers were answered. I was going to make it back to Iasi safely. Mario talked to the conductor and he was going to take our tickets in Pascani to get them stamped. I'm not really sure what that meant but she said we could get a refund. I'm not really sure how much but she said we could. Mario said to give the conductor our tickets when we were close to Pascani. Once we got close to Pascani Katleyn gave him the tickets. He gave them back to her shortly after. We didn't really understand what that meant and later she tried again. He told her then that there wasn't enough time. We called Mario and she explained to us that he would take them for us to get stamped if he had enough time. I guess he didn't have enough time. Later the conductor came and talked to us for a bit. We were suppose to buy our tickets to Iasi from him. He told us at the end that we didn't have to pay for our tickets to Iasi. He let us ride for free. How nice of him! It was such a bad day but good things did come from today. We were so blessed this entire day. We were watched over. Everyone we met today was so incredible nice to us. 

So eventually I made it home back to Iasi safely! What a crazy, long day. It felt like the day was a couple days long! Right before I went to bed I checked my email and guess what I found out today?!? I got accepted into UVU's Social Work program!!! I am beyond excited and can't wait to have a full semester of just Social Work classes :)


No comments:

Post a Comment